Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Walker is Four Months Old!


Walker, you are four months old! I say it every month, but I can't believe we're here. 

Your sweet personality is really shining this month and we love it so much! You're developing and growing leaps and bounds this month! 


Feeding:
You are eating 8 oz. every four hours, but are taking bottles at all feedings except your morning one since my milk supply has seriously decreased since I went back to work and I'm just not making enough for you. We had to add a small "snack" in the morning for you, per your day care's request, so you now eat at: 6:30 a.m., 8 a.m. {your "snack"}, 11 a.m., 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. {rice cereal} and 6:30 p.m. {bottle}. 

I met my goal of nursing you for four months, so I'm trying to see if we can meet my second goal of six months. I don't think I'm going to make it to a year, but I'm going to try! Our stockpile is slowly depleting and I typically only get about 4 oz. total at each pumping session at work. So, I basically make enough for one of your bottles when I pump during the day at work. 

Per your pediatrician's recommendation, we started you on rice cereal a few days after you turned four months old! I made it with breast milk the first time and you loved it; not so much when I made it with formula the next day. We'll keep trying, though! 

You're still dealing with your reflux - which we're hoping will start to subside now that we're slowly introducing solids - but you're taking 1.4 mL of baby Zantac twice a day. 


Sleeping:
You are sleeping through the night and it's amazing! We lay you down around 7:30-45 p.m. and you wake up anytime between 6-6:30 a.m. Sometimes you'll wake up on your own; sometimes you'll be so tired that we have to wake you up. 

You don't really take full-on naps anymore; only cat naps that last from about 30-45 minutes. While that's nice for us since you sleep at night, it's probably quite annoying for your teachers at "school!" But, the pediatrician says it's okay since you obviously don't need that much sleep during the day, so I'm trusting her opinion. 


Statistics:
At your four-month appointment last week, you weighed 14 lbs., 1 oz. (42%) and were 25 in. (28%). Your doctor did a developmental test on you, as well, and was very pleased that you are developmentally like a five-month-old! Of course that made your Daddy and me very excited! She also said that the physical therapy is obviously helping you and that she "didn't think we'd be here already" in terms of your head and neck range of motion. It was overall a very good appointment! 


Development/Milestones/Firsts:
You have definitely found your mouth, and absolutely everything goes in it: toys, your hands, your thumb….the list goes on and on. You are reaching and grabbing for absolutely everything, including my hair, any jewelry I wear and of course, toys. My favorite thing you have started to do is grab our arms when we're holding you, feeding you, or changing your diaper. You hold tight and don't let go, almost like you just want to hang on and keep us close. It's absolutely the sweetest thing. 

But on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, you've started throwing fits. And boy, are they fits: you'll arch your back and let out the highest-pitched squeal I have ever heard. I have a feeling the "terrible twos" are going to be interesting with you! 

You are talking up a storm right now and have a ton of baby babbles and noises. You're constantly "talking," but you absolutely get that naturally from me! You're doing lots of deep belly laughs and big smiles, and you have this sweet little look that you give me where you "make eyes" at me and bat those little eyelashes; you're going to be a lady-killer! :)

You're doing so much better with tummy time and actually laugh/smile when we're doing it, and that's a huge milestone. You're also a big roller out of your tummy time, too, and think that's just hilarious. 

You started day care this month and while you were unsure of it at first, you now laugh and smile at your teachers and really like them a lot. You celebrated your first Mother's Day with me and your first Memorial Day at your Mimi and Pop's house. 


Clothes:
It depends on the brand of clothes, but you're all over the place with sizing. In Baby Gap, you are still a straight 3 months, as with Carter's {though you can fit into their 6 months stuff, too}; you're a 0-3 months in Janie and Jack and a 3-6 months in some other brands. Like I said, all over the place! You're still in Size 2 Pampers Swaddlers, but I don't think it will be long before you move into Size 3. 


Behavior/Demeanor:
I say this every month, but you are absolutely the sweetest thing! Everyone comments on how much you "talk" and how alert/involved you are. 

You also "make eyes" at us and have the biggest grins and smiles. It's precious! You are a big flirt. 

Now that we've started you on cereal, you get frustrated when I don't get it in your mouth fast enough for you. Like I mentioned earlier, you're an expert fit-thrower! 

Currently you love: your O'Ball; rolling out of tummy time; taking a bath; the TV {especially when the meteorologists use their colorful weather maps}; going on walks; and us talking to you/any type of attention.

Currently you do not like: being burped/finishing eating; us rocking you to sleep {we have to stand and bounce you around}; waiting for anything; when we stop talking to you/giving you attention. 


Nicknames:
Walk, Buddy, Walker Boo, Jaybird {because I call you "Naked Jaybird" when I'm getting you undressed for your bath}, Walky, Pumpkin, Pumpkin Knot, Dub


Walker, 

You are the best thing that has ever happened to us. When people ask me what it's like to be a Mommy, I always tell them that being your Mom is the most joy I've ever experienced in my life. You are truly precious and every day I look forward to waking you up just so I can spend time with you. 

Yes, you challenge us and push our buttons, but the love we feel for you is immeasurable. It breaks my heart that I can't be with you all day, every day, but I know that the quality of our time spent together is much more important than the quantity.

Your Dad and I sometimes talk about the day you'll drive off to college, or start dating, or do any of those "grown up" things, and we both start crying. We just want you to stay little, but know it's impossible. However, we are thoroughly enjoying every moment we have with you and not taking it for granted. 

I pray that you will always be as happy, sweet and innocent as you are now. My prayer for you this month is that you continue to develop on track, and that you grow in wisdom and stature (Luke 2:52). I also pray, as I always do, for protection, purity and punishment. 

We are honored and privileged to be your parents, and are so thankful God entrusted us with your life. We love you.

Love,
Mommy and Daddy 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness can he be any sweeter!! I can't imagine how wonderful it will be to look back on all of these posts one day!!

    ReplyDelete