Friday, May 30, 2014

Working Mom Series | Raising a Baby With a Husband Who Travels + Five on Friday!


Happy, Happy Friday to you! This has been a l-o-n-g week and I'm definitely glad this beloved day is here. 

I'm mixing up my Five on Friday post this week to cover the Working Mom Series, too…so apologies that this post is so long today! 

Thanks, as always, to the lovely hostesses of this link-up: A.Liz Adventures, Carolina Charm, Hello! Happiness and The Good Life Blog



-ONE-
Thank you all for joining me this week for my Working Mom Series! If you missed them, you can catch up here, here and here. Today I'll be discussing how I raise Walker solo sometimes since Brandon travels for work. Be sure to scroll down and check it out below! 



-TWO-
While I'm not a huge fan of the Kardashians by any means, I was very impressed that Kim K. covered it all up during her wedding to Kanye West. {Which, BTW, can this please be her last marriage and if not, can she just get married at the J.P. like the regular folks on their third PLUS marriages?!} 

{via}

-THREE-
This little fella has his shots today and this mama is not excited about it in the least. The two-month shots were basically awful and I felt so bad for Walker when he was screaming on that table, so my prayer is that he takes them a little better today. Either way, we're prepared with baby Tylenol in the waiting room, a bottle for right after and Daddy coming along for the ride this time! 


-FOUR-
Other than Walker's shots today, we have absolutely NOTHING going on this weekend and I am thrilled. I feel like May is seriously the busiest time of the year with end-of-year stuff {parties, recitals, programs, graduations, etc.}, so I'm very much looking forward to a {hopefully} more relaxed and slower June. Here's hoping! 

-FIVE-
I have always loved this quote by Maya Angelou, and thought it was appropriate to share with her recent passing. It is so true! The way you make people feel says a lot about you as a person. 


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

And now moving on to the final post in my Working Mom Series! 

Brandon travels for work. When he took this job, we knew he would be traveling once a month every month. 
The schedule and duration is never the same…so don't get any ideas out there, creepers. 

That said, I knew what I was getting into when he signed on for this job when I was pregnant. But I had no idea just how hard it would be. I thought that it was hard to take out the trash, take care of things around the house that needed to be done and get myself out the door when I was pregnant. Oh, heck no. 

Now that I have Walker, it's definitely not as easy. Here are some tips as to how I deal with being a single mom once a month {which, BTW, I have major respect for full-time single moms!}: 

1. Plan, plan, plan
Like I said earlier this week, do as much as you can the night before. Before Brandon leaves, I always spend about an hour getting as much done as I can: laying clothes out for both Walker and me for the week; doing laundry; going to the grocery store; and even doing menial tasks like ensuring we have full rolls of toilet paper in the bathrooms. 

When you're on your own with a baby, even tasks that seem simple can take you twice as long. 

2. Get up a little earlier.
I get up at the same time every day when Brandon is here, but when he's not, I give myself a little more time in the mornings. When he is here and Walker decides to wake up a little early, Brandon can go in and change him and entertain him while I finish getting ready. When he's not here? It's all on me. So I get up a little bit earlier to ensure I have time to get completely ready before I wake Walker up {or he wakes up himself}. On this same note, I leave my house a little early to give myself enough time to get Walker to day care and me to work on time on my own. 

3. Don't try to cook.
I tried this while I was still on maternity leave and it was absolutely pointless. Obviously when Walker is older, I won't be able to get away with frozen dinners, but while I can get away with it, that's what I do. When he's gone, I'm all about sandwiches, grilled cheese, frozen dinners and anything quick and easy. 

4. Use bedtime to your advantage. 
Once Walker goes to bed, I use that time to make bottles for the next day, pump, do any work I need to do and get prepared for the next day. I never want to miss out on time with Walker since I don't get to see him during the day, so I use bedtime as my "go time." 

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
I have my mother-in-law on speed dial, but especially when Brandon is out of town. My in-law's don't live too far from us, and if I need my mother-in-law to help me with something while Brandon is gone, she is more than happy to oblige. Whether it's having us over for dinner; picking Walker up if I have a late meeting; or just calling to check on us, it's so appreciated. But on that note, don't be afraid to ask -- or say -- that you need help. I always have a problem admitting I need help, but I have had to resign myself to being vulnerable and doing it. 

6. It's okay to cry.
When I was on maternity leave, Brandon traveled and one day, Walker was screaming his head off. It was mid-week, and I was just done doing it on my own. I called Brandon in tears, heaving and sobbing because I was so overwhelmed. While I know he didn't enjoy hearing that when he was 2,000 miles away and couldn't do anything to help, he is my best friend and I just had get it out. It's okay to feel vulnerable, but you have to get those tears out and then buck it up for your kid(s). 

7. When your husband gets home, get out. 
While I know Brandon is tired from his work trips when he gets back, I need some time away, too. Once he's unpacked, laundry has been done and we've caught up, I'll go get a pedicure, go to the grocery store, run some errands or simply go drive around. It's nice to have a change of scenery and be child-free for a few minutes. You will come back so refreshed, I promise. 

Do you have any tips I left out?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a mom yet, but I have loved reading your mom posts this week. Thanks for being so open and honest about the ups and downs of having a baby. Right now, I can't imagine the change that it brings to married life, so I love reading about how you balance things. And I hope June is slower too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have any input on your other posts but this one I do. As a mom of two on our third deployment I feel like I have some experience to share. I second planning. Make lists and prioritize, is it more important that the laundry is done or that the house is vacuumed? Put the important things first and work your way down so if it all doesn't get finished at least it's not life or death :-) Also remember a little crying never hurt anyone. This goes for momma and kiddos. It may seem urgent to the little one but sometimes mom has to shower right then and that is ok. And sometimes moms just need to cry. It helps relieve stress. Also wine. Always have some on hand. Handy life tips I know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved all your mom posts this week! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete