Sunday, December 22, 2013

Weekending

My mission to enjoy the Christmas season this year is actually happening. Granted, it helps that I can no longer travel outside of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex...so I've been forced to stay here and actually enjoy

One thing I've enjoyed is making Christmas candy*, a tradition that I love and do every year. This is such an easy recipe that makes a ton, and I haven't met one person who doesn't like it. 

{Side note: Why are the yummiest things always the ugliest?}


Our weekend was very low-key. 

I celebrated 16 glorious, much-needed days off of work on Friday by starting a fire and watching "It's a Wonderful Life." It was amazing. There are definitely perks to working for a school district! :)


Saturday, we lazed around the house and then went to a Christmas-themed engagement party for some friends of ours from college. Today, we went to church, had Chipotle for lunch and Brandon watched the Cowboys game while I wrote thank-you notes. We're now cuddled up on the couch watching "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York." 

It was so perfect and just what we both needed. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

One thing Brandon and I are doing this year - something that's been very important to us - is to start our own Christmas traditions with our little family. 

For awhile through my childhood, I had the whole "divorced" Christmas thing going on. {Womp womp, I know.} I hated it! I always just wanted to be at my dad's, wake up in my own bed and have a normal Christmas like every other kid. But I was always picked up at noon on Christmas Day, driving in the car two hours and everything felt so...weird. 

Then, when I became a teenager, I made the best decision and decided to always be at my dad's for Christmas, and I never looked back. I finally had a normal Christmas where I could be with my family, stay in my pajamas all day and enjoy my gifts. 

But then, when I got married, I had to do what everyone does and split their time between my parents and my in-law's on opposite years. 

While we're still on the "at my parents' one Christmas, his the next," we are starting something new this year: every time we're in Dallas for Christmas, we're spending the night at our own house, in our own beds, and waking up in our own house on Christmas morning.  We'll open gifts together, just us; have breakfast together, just us; and then get dressed, drive over to my in-law's and have Christmas lunch and open presents with them and Brandon's brothers, their significant others and our nieces/nephews. 

For many of you, this is no big deal. You've been doing this forever. 

But for us? This is a huge deal. It was not a popular decision by any means, but it was something that was very important to both Brandon and me, and something that we're giddily excited to do this year, and in future years with our child{ren}. Change is never easy, especially around the holidays, but we are both very much looking forward to it this year and in years to come. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~

That said, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and get to spend it with those you love. 


*Christmas Candy
Ingredients:
1 lb. roasted peanuts
1 pkg. white chocolate almond bark
1 pkg. milk chocolate almond bark

Directions:
1. Roast peanuts in oven. 
2. Meanwhile, heat both almond barks in microwave until melted. 
3. Mix almond bark and peanuts together until well coated.
4. Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls onto wax paper and let dry. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you and your hubby are starting your own tradition! Growing up being with just my immediate family Christmas morning was my favorite part. Both of our families are 3 hours away so for now we won't be at our house for Christmas. But we do always make a point to have our own Christmas day before we leave to see family. We wake up, say Merry Christmas, and do our Christmas traditions all day long. I think its super important!! And Merry pre baby Christmas -- I'm sure it will be different next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are sitting here watching Home Alone 2 too!! :) We got lucky and both of our families live in the same town, so this year we are doing Christmas Eve with his family, and Christmas with mine! The only bad thing is that each family expects to have an equal amount of time with us, which can be difficult and frustrating! I hope y'all have great last holiday just the two of you!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're creating your own memories and starting traditions. We've talked about how much we wish we could start our own Christmas traditions. We live in different cities than either of our families, so it's hard to start our own since every year we're traveling or I'm working as a nurse. It'll be so fun for you to start your own this year and then especially when Baby W comes! I hope you're feeling well and enjoy this time together before he comes. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Just ready for him to be here...one more month! :) Merry Christmas!

      Delete